Information for our members in connection with coronavirus
The consequences of the spread of the coronavirus and the measures taken to limit this spread, have far-reaching consequences for all business sectors. Our members will also be greatly affected by these measures. In the short term because performances, campaigns and other assignments have been canceled. In the long term because the turnover of music users is declining. As a result, the copyright income of composers, lyricists and music publishers will decrease sharply.
In order to accommodate rightsholders, it has been decided to bring forward a number of distributions:
- Copyright earnings from live performances in 2019 will be paid in April and May 2020 instead of September 2020. With this measure, approximately € 12,000,000 will be paid out to rightsholders 4 to 5 months earlier.
- Copyright earnings from Radio and TV in 2019 will be paid in June 2020 instead of September 2020. With this measure, approximately € 38,000,000 will be paid out to rightsholders 3 months earlier.
In addition, we have decided to change some of our yearly distributions to quarterly distributions:
- Copyright earnings from live performances under AL Licenses will be charged quarterly from the 2020 operating year. With this measure, structurally, approximately € 7,000,000 to € 10,000,000 is paid out to rightsholders 6 to 15 months earlier.
- Copyright earnings from public and commercial radio and television channels will be charged quarterly from the 2020 operating year. We will start distributing usage from the first quarter of 2020 in September 2020. This measure will structurally pay out approximately € 27,000,000 to € 30,000,000 3 to 12 months earlier.
Furthermore, Buma/Stemra will make € 2,750,000 available for an emergency fund. This fund is intended to assist our rightsholders who still experience difficulties despite general governmental initiatives and specific measures announced for the creative sector. Neighboring rights organization Sena has also made an amount available, and we hope the government will supplement the fund. Together with the Council of Rightsholders, the Buma Social Fund and Buma Cultuur, we will agree on precise criteria and procedures for payments to our rightsholders.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is Buma/Stemra doing this?
To accommodate rightsholders. The government measures also have major consequences for our members. In the short term because performances, campaigns and other assignments have been canceled. In the long term because the turnover of music users is decreasing. As a result, the copyright earnings of composers, lyricists and music publishers will decrease sharply. We hope to help our rightsholders by paying more often and faster.
How much money is involved?
In the short term, Buma/Stemra will pay out € 40,000,000 to € 50,000,000. About € 15,000,000 of this amount will go directly to Buma/Stemra rightsholders in The Netherlands.
When can I expect money?
Copyright earnings from live performances in 2019 will be paid in April and May 2020; copyright earnings from Radio and TV in 2019 will be paid in June 2020.
Which distributions will now be made quarterly that were previously made yearly?
Copyright earnings from live performances under AL Licenses and copyright earnings from Public and commercial Radio and Television channels.
Who can claim the emergency fund?
Together with Sena and others we are trying to turn it into a substantial fund; we are asking the government to supplement it to an even greater amount. We are working out the procedures and will say more on this subject later. The fund is intended for those immediately affected in the music sector.
Am I already able to register for the emergency fund?
No, this is not possible yet. You will be informed later.
How much money is in the emergency fund?
Buma/Stemra is in discussion with, among others, Sena to come to an emergency fund in collaboration within the field and with the government. Talks with other parties are ongoing. In the coming weeks we will consult with the government and ask that the government participates with a multitude of emergency funds that have been made available by the sector. Buma/Stemra is prepared to make € 2,750,000 available for this.
What is the fund intended for?
The fund is intended to assist our rightsholders who still experience difficulties despite general governmental initiatives. It is important to note that these funds are supplementary to governmental support measures for companies and the self-employed and do not stand in the way of, or replace them.
Who is involved in determining how the emergency fund is used?
We will agree principles and procedures with the Council of Rightsholders, the Buma Social Fund and Buma Cultuur for the part intended for our rightsholders.
What can I do?
- Register your works: https://mijn.bumastemra.nl/inlog/
- Register your setlists: https://www.bumastemra.nl/setlijstapp/
- Search airplay claim for any of your works: https://www.airplayclaim.nl/AirplayClaimWeb
- Forward cue sheets: Cue sheets: information on the use of music in audiovisual productions such as films or TV series
The sooner and more complete data is available to us, the sooner it can be processed.